From the mailbag:
I'm going to have a baby girl in a few months! My mother-in-law assumes that I'm going to have her ears pierced but honestly, I'm wondering about it.
Do you think I should?
Cathy in Delaware"
What MamaBear thinks is irrelevant when it comes to your family! 🙂
But she will say this.
- Is it a cultural thingee within your family that girls get their ears pierced?
- Is it something that will cause a rift wider than 83 Superbowl fields laid end to end?
- Is it something that will cause you to be disowned if you fail to do it?
Honestly, regarding piercing baby ears…it should be what you and your husband is comfortable with.
I personally chose *not* to have HD1 or HD2's ears pierced; heck, I don't even have *mine* pierced!
But when HD2 turned 11, she did ask me to have that done. And because she was old enough to take care and responsibility for her earlobes, I was happy to do it.
If you'd like some resources about baby ear piercing, check out:
- Piercing baby's ears: Is it safe?
- To Pierce or Not to Pierce? The Baby Earring Debate
- When is it safe to pierce my daughter's ears?
and if you'd like to see what it's like, gaze upon:
In closing, I myself would never get a child's ears pierced unless they were gung-ho that they really really really wanted it.
Your mileage, of course….may vary. 🙂